The people who have a hair transplantation are facing a long process. It takes about 1 year for the transplanted hair to become completely natural. The persons who have undergone hair transplantation want to know what to do within the one-year period, as after the first weeks of healing, the relationship with the doctor will gradually diminish. At this point, the patient is left alone with their hair trying to grow and develop.
The first week after the hair transplantation is the most critical process. During this process, it is important for the placement of the transplanted area that you carefully follow the rules given by your doctor to strengthen your hair root. However, after the hair transplantation, we need to take a look at what to do after the first two weeks of the so-called healing process.
So what to do after hair transplantation?
What can you do to ensure that your hair grows quickly, strongly and beautifully in a long period of 1 year after the hair transplant?
Another article you might be interested in ⇒ Things to consider in the first week after hair transplantation
What are the things to do after a hair transplant?
We divide the things that need to be done after hair transplantation into periods of time and focus on the things you need to pay attention to.
The first 3 days – rest process
The first 3 days after the hair transplant are critical, because even with FUE hair transplantation, micro holes have been created and these areas on your head have not yet healed.
- After a hair transplant, the rules must be followed.
- You should rest at home.
- Comfortable clothes with buttons that can be easily put on and taken off should be preferred.
- A lot of water should be consumed.
- Antibiotics should be taken at the right time.
- You should sleep on your back. If possible, a neck pillow should be used. (If you cannot find an inflatable travel pillow, you can roll a towel and put it under your neck.
- Post-operative nutrition is important to help wounds heal faster and to help the hair get used to the transplant areas faster.
- Non-heavy, fibre-rich and healthy foods should be preferred.
- Your head should not get wet, if you have to take a bath, you should prefer regional laundry.
- Your head should remain as straight as possible for the first 3 days. This reduces oedema and swelling.
This article might also interest you ⇒ When does the transplanted hair grow?
Day 4 – first wash
On day 4, small bleedings occur in the area where the hair was transplanted and the moisture of the hair root is replaced by crusts. This can be compared to crusts that appear when you bump your elbow, but remember that it should never be plucked or touched.
The first washing after the hair transplant can be done on the 3rd or 4th day.
It is recommended to do the first washing in hospital. The first washing after hair transplantation requires special procedures. After you have taken a rest for the first 3 days, you can take your first bath. For more information about the first washing after hair transplantation, please read our article.
Now we come to the things that have to be done on the 4th day after the hair transplantation…
- If possible, have your hair washed for the first time in your hair transplant centre.
- Choose a shampoo recommended by your doctor. If your doctor has not recommended a shampoo, you can choose a daily natural shampoo with a pH of 5.5
- After the first wash, the hair should be washed at least once a day for 15 days.
- You can go out, but remember that your head must be protected from bumps.
- Crusts indicate a healing process. As a result of the washing process of 6-7 days the crusts heal by themselves and fall off by themselves.
- You should wear a hat when you go out, which is a little bigger and take a dark colour.
- The bandage in the neck is also opened today. You will see that the wounds in the neck area have healed.
- Continue taking your antibiotic.
- The itching, which starts from day 4, will disappear after day 10.
Day 10 – The falling off of the crusts
After the 7th day the antibiotic intake is finished. The healing process is complete. On the tenth day after the hair transplantation, the crusts in the transplanted area will turn yellow and they will have fallen off almost completely by washing.
- Wash your hair every day.
- Do not rub your scalp.
- Pay attention to your diet
- In consultation with your doctor, you can take vitamin and dietary supplements that are good for your hair. (Biotin, B-complex etc.)
- If you have swelling, you will notice that the oedema largely disappears.
If the redness on your scalp persists, continue to protect yourself from the sun
Day 15 – Shock loss
It is during this time that some people begin the shock loss process. The shock loss process is the beginning of the loss of the transplanted hair, which lasts from the 2nd week up to 2 months. After the hair transplantation, on the 15th day the following has to be done.
Occasionally, there may be numbness in the transplanted area and the donor area, which is a temporary situation.
- You can use the shampoo of your choice
- You can switch to your normal washing schedule
- You can start taking hair booster serum and medication (discuss this topic with your doctor).
- Check your diet, pay attention to healthy food.
- Easy walks can be taken without sweating.
Learn more about the shock loss process ⇒ Shock loss during hair transplants
2nd month – PRP
From the second month, when the shock loss is over, the hair roots begin to grow normally. After this time, you are alone with your new hair, which looks as natural as your own hair.
Hair roots growing after this time may look curly at first, but remember that this will improve in the first year.
- Strengthening treatments, such as PRP, hair mesotherapy, can be performed, which are injected directly into the hair root.
- Blood circulation can be accelerated by massaging the transplanted area.
- If desired, some of the styling applications can be started.
Things to do after hair transplantation can be listed in this way. The process after hair transplantation is as important as the operation. Pay attention to exactly what is to be done and what is not to be done. If you have any open questions, it is important to talk to your doctor.
Strengthen your hair after the hair transplant ⇒ Thickening methods for hair